Internet Usage Increased in India
Due covid-19 lockdown many people are staying in home with entertain them on TV, Cook, gardening and internet etc. many people doing work from home. These will lead usage of internet higher compare to last year in India. We think the future of the internet looks like the next billion users. India continues to be the world’s second-largest internet market after China.
Internet traffic increased by around a quarter in many major cities, according to Cloud flare a US company that provides network infrastructure to businesses around the world. More people started video calls with colleagues, family, and friends. Office started using the video-conferencing software like Zoom, Goggle Meet, etc., on last four months of 2020 and many kids are started playing with online PC game Millions of players were logged on at the same time, a 25% jump since February.
According to a joint study says by,
- Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI) and Nielsen.
- ICUBETM report prepared by data, insights and consulting company Kantar.
“Digital services have assumed great importance for India. The spread of the internet has been possible due to the joint efforts of the telecom service providers (more affordable data packages, better connectivity), and internet service providers has catalyzed the speed at which the already connected consumer is getting further connected with devices, payments, e-medicine, etc., digital entertainment, ecommerce, and content in Indian languages.”
In rural areas, “Challenges like connectivity, quality of service, and affordability of mobile internet still persist in rural India, which makes it difficult for users to access the internet. One third of urban users access the internet for more than one hour every day.”
Some Highlighted points mention on reports are given below,
- It now has 504 million active internet users.
- Internet user base is estimated to touch 639 million by the end of December.
- The number of monthly active internet users has grown 24% over that of 2019
- India has half a billion internet users. Mobile device is choice for active users to browse the internet.
- Daily active users in India 68% on internet and in urban areas, even higher at 77%.
- 88% 4G Penetrations across India and overall penetration of 41% last year.
- Growth of Indian language content and entertainment across urban and rural areas.
- Top internet activities – social media, entertainment (including music, movies, and videos), news (reading and watching), and email.
- Mobile internet usage in India precedes laptop, desktop, and tablet usage.
- Gender ratio – 65% men and 35% women.
- Of India’s overall internet population, 433 million users are above 12, while 71 million are in the age bracket of 5 to 11. Only 15 percent of the users are above 40. 2/3rd of user’s age group 12-29 years and this age group more than 70 percent of internet users in rural areas.
- Rural areas are driving its digital revolution. Rural India has 264 million internet users this is expected to reach 304 million in 2020.
- Close to 70 percent of the rural population does not access the internet. This will further contribute to an increase in the overall internet population over the next few years.
- Mumbai has the highest Internet population of 13 million; Delhi alone has 11.3 million internet users. Bengaluru, Kolkata, and Chennai followed with 6.6 million, 6.2 million, and 6 million respectively.
- Jharkhand and Bihar, two of India’s fastest-growing internet states last year which have 48 percent and 36 percent increase in internet population respectively. This is higher compared to all other Indian states.
- A more balanced gender ratio (58:42) was recorded among users in metros. Chennai even bettered the metro average with a 55:45 split between male and female users.
Today internet is a backbone of every business and need of every one. Internet users in India day by increased in metro, urban and rural areas. It will not only expand India’s digital footprint, but also propel it to a $1 trillion economy.